Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Coconut Oil




I go through phases of freaking out about all the chemicals I am using and start eliminating things. One of the things I use the most that is probably the worst is lotion. I put it over my entire body daily, and re apply often. That is just too many chemicals soaking into my skin. After looking at different alternatives and not wanting to spend a fortune I decided on good ole' coconut oil.

Coconut Oil is the new fad, so of course I jumped on board. haha Kidding. But seriously I do think it's pretty awesome stuff. It is new to some of us, but women in other countries have been using coconut oil for beauty reasons for a very long time

Here's some of the benefits:
- antibacterial, antiviral and anti fungel
- contains antioxidants that promote healthy cell regeneration over time
- very hydrating
- can use in your hair to help with dandruff, or to help strengthen hair ends.

How do you use it?
Mix about 1/2 cup with a mixer. This just softens it up and makes it easier to apply. I add a 1/2 tbs of vitamin e to it to help preserve it and I like the added benefits. Put it in a jar with a lid. It will harden up again,  so when you scoop some out warm it up into your hand before trying to rub it on your body.

What kind to buy?
Look for pure virgin coconut oil. No dyes, perfumes or anything added.

Can you use it on your face??
Maybe. This is pretty controversial actually. A lot of people say if it is virgin coconut oil it shouldn't clog the pores. On the other side of that, everybody skin is so different. Some people do react to coconut oil, and breakout and have horrible reactions with it. Personally I don't use it on my face. I know my skin, and know I am breakout prone - and have very reactive skin. I stick to using the coconut oil just on my body and so far so good!

1 comment:

Bethany Lee said...

Neat! I just started using some shampoo with coconut milk, and I like it. I may have to try this out. :)